Sunday 3 March 2013

Protein pancakes and a run

In my day job, I work at a wellness clinic that just so happens to sell 180nutrition protein powder.

I'm not so big on powdered food, especially not when I can get all my nutrients and essential amino acids from cupcakes and coffee (This is scientifically correct, I know this for a fact, because cupcakes are the bombdiggity and not you nor the institution can tell me otherwise!).

But after hearing where 180nutrition comes from, how clean and unpretentious their product is, I decided I would give it a go.

I tried it first in an almond milk milkshake in the chocolate flavour, and it was...interesting.

The product is not ground smooth, so you're picking bits of sesame seed and flax out of your teeth afterwards.


The great part of this protein mix is the taste. It's actually delicious--nutty, chewy, and hearty in a good way.

Stuff like muffins, pancakes, breads, stir-fries would do great with the addition of this powder.

So I decided to make pancakes this morning.


I read through 180nutrition's pancake recipe, but I'm not nearly paleo enough to have coconut milk in my fridge. I basically added some of this, some of that, and up with this mix:

mostly 180nutrition coconut protein powder
some flour
a scoop of brown sugar
a teeny bit of baking soda
1 egg
whole milk until it's goopy
more butter than you think is adequate

If you don't understand my recipe measurements, then you obviously need to spend more time in the kitchen.


The pancakes cooked up really well.


They came out perfectly. I made a blueberry sauce (frozen blueberries and brown sugar cooked until...well, saucy) and drizzled honey over the entire plate.

They were really tasty, but dry. They sucked up the blueberry sauce like little delicious sponges, which was a good thing.

Next time, I will try less protein powder and maybe another egg to moisten.


After our sugar-protein-calorie-fest, Steven and I went to caffeinate it up at a local Aussie coffee shop, Gloria Jean, which is strangely from America? I say "strangely" because they seem to pride themselves as an Aussie owned and operated franchise.


After some errands, I decided to offend the good taste of the North Sydney running community with my blue/purple/red outfit.

I was so surprised to see that my elevation gain was actually quite modest.

I felt as if I had been climbing mountains (MOUNTAINS!), but Garmin Connect failed to register that.


Post-run glow-in-the-dark socks and a big smile. I'm so glad my knee is better, because I love running!

My stats:
2.47 miles
27:41 minutes
11:14 min/mile av pace
elevation gain 229 ft (wtf?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment